by Kim on Saturday, February 28, 2009

A Moment with Kim: This Outfit Can Be Un-Fugged (and Claudia Approves!)

I was mindin' my own business, clicking around my google reader, when I saw this fugging. It is a near epic fug (on a positive note, you gotta give it up for Love-Hewitt's gorgeous hair). And yet - I understand if we can't be friends anymore because of this statement, but I'll really miss your company and would like you to know that I've treasured our time together - I kind of love it. And I think it can be redeemed, as indicated by the title of this post.

Man. That is beautiful. I can't even glance at this picture without becoming absolutely transfixed by the afghan/poncho/cardigan. It is so befuddling, and - maybe because it's so damn befuddling - I find myself wanting one. Claudia and I had to have a serious meeting to unpack our feelings about this ensemble. We made it through an entire can of Pringles and a bag of Hershey's Kisses before coming up with a solution.

Let me take you through the redemption process, step by step (this will involve some visualization on your part).

  • Obviously, the first step is to burn the Louis Vuitton.
  • Trade the white long-sleeved tee shirt in for a black version. That poncho-thing is a (textbook example of a) statement piece, and I think it would pop better against a black background.
  • Take the poncho-thing's hemline up about a foot.
  • I'm not super into the idea of "fashion rules" (I combine neutrals a lot, for one thing) but I do think this outfit makes a solid case for the theory that if you're wearing loose/flowy/oversized on top, you should be wearing something more streamlined on the bottom. Trade the ill-fitting flares for skinny jeans.
  • Add heels. My suggestions (based mostly on the concept of 'I would wear these, so why shouldn't you? And J. Love-Hew.? Even Cindy-Lou Who?'): 1. Check's in the Mail 2. On the Wire 3. Agatha 4. Marta 5. Fontane
  • Commence being awesome.

Anyone with me on this?

(Photo credit: FlynetOnline.com and Go Fug Yourself)

11 comments

Those Marta shoes just made me gasp a little bit. Loves!

I agree with you, that poncho thing is really quite beautiful, with your suggestions she could be wearing one amazing outfit.

by ula dee on 9:53 PM. #

I was so transfixed on her poncho, I didn't even realise those jeans until 5 seconds later.

Your version is only about a million times better.

by Fiona on 1:12 AM. #

Yeah, I think you saved her outfit.

Of course, if Claudia Kishi HAD been wearing the outfit, it would have looked amazing.

by Sadako on 2:28 AM. #

I'm with Ula. LOVE the Marta shoes. And seriously, I think with all your improvements, it would a great outfit, but only a couple people (you included) could pull it off.

p.s. I'm with you for the hair.

by Veronique on 2:17 PM. #

that face really wins it for me. seriously. she could be wearing a vondutch jumpsuit and clear heels (non-ironically) and i would be into this.
but i agree with the outfit makeover. put some leggings on a bitch and throw a backwards snuggie/cape on her and i am in.

by absolutely not on 5:25 PM. #

I tested myself by coming up with my own revision before reading yours & our ideas = same. I didn't think of switching the white for black, but I totally agree. I also would love to see what would happen if she wrapped this in a wide belt, but maybe that's too crazy. I'm not good at visualizing.

by Laurie Stark on 1:04 PM. #

I think I would have made all of the same suggestions except for taking up the hemline. That's why you are the fashion blogger and I am the readee.

by Rebecca on 11:16 AM. #

I'd have to say I love the "check's in the mail." I bought my first pair of Seychelles a number of years back. They were fugly if I say so myself. Black flats for an equally fugly job...these ones might redeem the horribly tarnished memory I have of them

by Genevieve on 6:23 PM. #

Wow, didn't think it was possible to unfug this one. But you're right. It's not beyond saving.

It's also nice to know that I'm not the only Go Fug Yourself fan out there.

by Di on 9:48 AM. #

I think these are great tips for the daily suiting. Anyways excellent job!
Service Gem

by Unknown on 7:20 AM. #

Not into skinny jeans myself, but I think skinnier jeans would be good and I agree about everything else--particularly loved your line about 'a textbook example of a statement peice.'

by evilcat on 12:46 PM. #

Leave your comment