by Kim on Friday, January 29, 2010

Things I Cannot Afford on a Babysitter's Salary


Bags and cardigan: Anthropologie, necklace: Free People, earrings: Need Supply, ring: Digby & Iona, flats: Frye

The PR folks over at Digby & Iona sent me a press release about that stump ring. Not a big deal - I tend to get them from time to time, I think all fashion bloggers* do. Except I'm bitter about this press release, because that ring is intense and I totally want it and the last thing I should be spending my money on is more statement jewelry. As I was salivating, B. looked over my shoulder and suggested that if they REALLY wanted me to write about it, they'd send me one. But here I am, writing about it anyway. So you win, Digby & Iona. But I'm not linking to your site. Because I am bitter.

Things you can entertain yourself with until I post an actual entry:


* if that's what you can call this . . . not sure I would, but try telling that to the folks over at Jean Straps (seriously . . . jean straps).

Critical "I like to be told I'm funny" update: I clearly do not have a future in PR, because I just got an e-mail from Digby & Iona and I was expecting it to read "bitch, it ain't our fault you're poor!" Because that would've been my reaction. Instead, I was thanked for mentioning the ring and - the real kicker - told that "the post was simply hilarious." Flattery will get you everywhere, Digby & Iona. You win again!

(I expect an e-mail from the Jean Straps people extoling my comedic genius within the next few days.)

9 comments

Oh my garrrrr... that ring is, indeed, fierce. Googling it now!

by Alicia on 11:45 AM. #

Ha love the intro to this post... oh so true. I hope they listen and send you a ring! :)

by Jaime @ laviejaime on 11:51 AM. #

I'm all about those earrings.

by nikki on 12:29 PM. #

Hi there,
I was recently at a library conference where I met David Levithan. He's now an editor at Scholastic, but he wrote The Complete Guide to the BSC way back when. He seemed almost embarrassed to be asked about the Complete Guide. If I had written something like that, I'd have it tattooed on my forehead. I was hoping to get my hands on a copy of the upcoming BSC prequel, but no dice.

by Amanda on 1:09 PM. #

What a lovely ring! They should totally send you one.

Your report about their reply to your post made me laugh for the first time in two days (lots of unexpected family drama goin' down.) Thank you.

by Unknown on 9:13 AM. #

I mocked the Nanny Diaries sequel on twitter, and a minute later I got followed by the nanny diaries authors...so I can definitely relate!

Cool threads, man.

by Sadako on 1:14 PM. #

I'm not sure about the Berroco squirrel (he's SCARY!) but I think the Kishi is behind half the pieces in the Winter 09/10 issue of Vogue Knitting. (http://www.vogueknitting.com/magazine/winter_2009_10_fashion_preview.aspx)

I've been trying to figure out why I'm oddly drawn to this issue's designs, even though they're so very, very wrong for my frame. Half of them are clearly channeling Claudia. I mean, SUSPENDERS! Fedoras! Weird neck blossoms!

by Cindy on 11:38 PM. #

when I realized that you could customize the ring with different initials, I was hooked too. then I saw the price. those bastards.

by Unknown on 9:46 AM. #

You could really easily make those earrings. Street vendors sell those fish charms for about $7 a piece in SF's china town and all you would need are the little hookie-things to put in your ears. (Can you tell I'm wildly uncool and live in my diamond studs because they don't give me allergies?)

by Julie on 6:54 PM. #

Leave your comment